The world's most capable, rugged and secure
industrial control system...
Introducing Bedrock OSA® Remote
- Intrinsically-secure PLC and RTU control
- 10 or 20 channels of universal I/O
- Free IEC 61131-3 engineering software
- -40ºC to +80ºC temperature range
- Rugged, all-metal case 5.4 in x 8.9 in x 2.3 in
Surviving Ransomware Update
May 26, 2021 | Robert Bergman
On May 7, 2021, a Colonial Pipeline employee discovered a ransom note indicating that this company that provides roughly 45% of the fuel for the East Coast was the victim of a ransomware attack. Colonial runs a 5,000 mile network of pipelines that at any given time contains a mix of different materials with different owners and destinations. The company quickly shut down operations and decided to pay a $4.4 million ransom. They did so because, according to what Colonial president Joe Blount told the Wall Street Journal, his company didn’t know the extent of the damage and wasn’t sure how long it would take to bring the pipeline’s systems back and because “it was the right thing to do for the country.” Even with the decryption tools provided by the attackers and available backups it took five days to restore operations.
Bedrock Fellow Sam Galpin has been warning about the incursion of ransomware in industrial settings and written about the threat potential of ransomware to industrial operations. He says that is increasing because, as demonstrated by the Colonial attack, it is a highly lucrative effort with a low cost of entry. Once you get hit, if you are unprepared, there is not much you can do except paying the ransom or abandoning your files. Sam does say, however, that it won’t be a total loss if you have a response plan in place and suggests you include some of the following key information in your ransomware emergency kit.
- How to determine the state of your process without a Windows HMI. (There is a good chance your PLCs or other automation are not compromised.)
- How to determine whether there is a safety risk.
- What critical steps must be taken immediately?
- What are the respective roles of IT and OT?
Read the full article here.