Bedrock Automation asked “What would it take to design a control system strong enough for today’s security threats?” The answer was to build the control system from the ground up. And the result is a control system that’s not only more secure, but also outperforms, outlasts, and costs less to operate than any control system in existence – all backed by our five year warranty!
It starts with a backplane with fast I/O communication and no pins. It continues with virtually marshalled I/O enabling you to save time and money in installation, maintenance, and commissioning. You’ve never seen this kind of power. And speaking of power, Bedrock provides a backplane-coupled power supply, reducing cost, panel space, and the need for power conditioning.
Control systems are the brains behind how we manufacture, and a future of secure reliable automation requires a substantial rebuild and rethink of the status quo. The time has come for Bedrock Automation.
The future of automation begins by a backplane rethink and redesign, starting with the elimination of every possible pin and physical interconnect system-wide. To make this idea work, Bedrock had to solve many fundamental physical and electromechanical issues and to design literally everything from scratch on both the backplane and the interconnecting I/O modules. These challenges included transporting hundreds of watts of redundant power, ultra high speed redundant communications, robust mating interconnect, materials of construction, tolerances and behaviors, all to survive the test of time and the range of expectations and certifications such as IEC 60068, UL, CE, and others. The result is nothing short of transformational because it all works and the benefits are numerous and user-centric:
- An unbreakable Black Fabric™ backplane communications architecture providing the highest predicted MTBF in the industry.
- Our electromagnetic interconnect eliminates all I/O pins providing increased reliability, higher speed, galvanic isolation, and protection against cyber snooping.
- A 4GB black fabric communication providing a fixed I/O scan time regardless of I/O count and user application.
- All-metal construction increases reliability, safety, and cyber security.
- An all-fiber star network can span up to 20Km providing highest levels of distribution and application flexibility.
Bedrock™ Secure IO (SIO) Series sets a new standard of performance, security and configurability for Industrial Control Systems. Based on layers of advanced silicon technology, the SIO Series delivers software configurable IO with the lowest number of modules available in the industry. Universal analog, discrete and pulse inputs and outputs are configurable on a channel by channel basis resulting in a 90% reduction in module types for the typical user. A Secure Serial module is available with 5 channels, that supports most legacy serial protocols including RS-232, RS-422 or RS-485 communications. A universal 5 port Secure Ethernet module is also available with a road map supporting the most popular Industrial Ethernet protocols such as Ethernet IP, Modbus TCP and Profinet.
I/O and Communications Module Spec Sheets
A universal secure power module that supports 90-260VAC/125VDC and 24VDC input, providing all Backplane Module Interconnect (BMI) power to modules and field devices. Also offered is a lower cost 24VDC input power supply. Other features include:
- With no fans, the system has extreme reliability in sealed all-metal construction that enables flawless operation at extended temperature range (see spec sheet).
- Coupled to the backplane, the power supply provides advanced diagnostic capabilities for better analytics, predictive maintenance, and reduced unplanned downtime.
- The power supply is redundant and cyber secure with a secure ARM processor on board.
A universal controller for all control modes: Continuous, Batch and Discrete supporting as few as ten, or as many as thousands of I/O. The controller provides extreme speed and robustness which enables less variation on control loops, increased data collection at a more granular level, and higher fidelity control. Other features include:
- An embedded OPC UA server allowing the Bedrock control system to work with any HMI and/or third party application.
- The advanced redundant interlink enables the highest speed redundancy to ensure least disruption to process.
- The controller is backplane coupled with advanced diagnostics to improve uptime, increase asset utilization, and provide richer analytics.
- For safe and secure operation, the controller utilizes layered and embedded cyber security with secure ARM processor running a RTOS that is built to enable a roadmap for the Bedrock Controller to be certified to the highest safety and cyber security standards.
Controller Spec Sheet
Bedrock’s Integrated Development Environment is FREE and provides a workplace to enable the implementation and commissioning of automation projects. An intuitive user interface brings together the core functions into an easy-to-use and simple-to-learn package. This environment includes:
- Control system I/O and network configuration.
- Control application development with integrated debugging and diagnostic modules.
- Fully compliant IEC61131-3 supported.
- Import and export capabilities for integration with third-party applications.
- Online help with access to manuals and instruction guides.
UPS and SPS
Bedrock’s Secure Power Solutions include power and UPS elements with unrivaled security and availability. Using advanced construction materials, crypto processors, lithium polymer battery chemistry, power topologies, communications and diagnostics, a new industrial power paradigm is here. Benefits for users include:
- Sealed all-metal construction with extended environmental specifications
- Highest levels of availability and security
- Integrated modular redundancy
- Embedded OPC UA server enabling IIoT capabilities